Tuesday, July 10, 2007

DVD Special Features Wish List

The movie has been out a week, so now its time to think DVD release. Based on history I expect the DVD will come towards the end November or early December for Christmas sales. I also expect the very irritating current 2 edition DVD release. The first will likely be the movie, some trailers, and the HBO First Look. The "Special Edition" will be an extra DVD with more more behind the scenes stuff and other marketing materials put together during the movie's production. Michael Bay tends to do commentary so that may be on both editions.

I do hope there is something more though. I kept hoping the studios would follow the wonder and extra feature treasure chest of the Lord of the Rings DVD sets. All of them had outstanding how to features, documentary style programs, multiple commentary tracks, fully extended editions with completed effects. I want the same treatment for Transformers. I will not happen, the bean counters probably say the cost versus the reward isn't worth it so not holding my breath.

More then likely the material for the DVDs have been decided, recorded, and already edited together. But for the sake of argument, what would be your wish list of special features for the Transformers DVD? Probably will never happen as time, money and ego will prevent it, but why not.

Here are mine:
- Director, writers, and producers commentary track
- Actors commentary track
- Special effects and visual effects commentary track with split-screen, one to show the movie, the other to show how did the various real and CGI effects for the movie.
- Frank Welker as Megatron alternate track.
- LOTR documentary style feature on how the film was put together from pre-production up to opening night. None of the usual back-patting and selling of the film, but a real, this is how its done "movie".
- All the TV Spots, Trailers (US and international) and posters.
- Extended edition with completed effects that had to be left on the cutting room floor but really wanted in the film.

8 comments:

  1. BLU-RAY!! I really want to see this movie in High-Def. I also want to see how all the CGI was done and a more in depth look on the making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To further elaborate on "CGI features," what I would love to see is some kind of slow motion transformation of each of the characters in a 360 degree view.

    The transformations were incredible but went so fast! I could spend hours slowly watching where all the parts go when an Autobot/Decepticon transforms (and I HAVE using frame-by-frame playback with the few quicktime clips available... albeit they show only brief glimpses of the transformations.) I can't get enough of the genius behind these designs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I strongly agree with the Frank Welker as Megatron alternate track.

    And let's not forget the Brawl/Devastator fiasco; I hope they put the correct name (Brawl) in the DVD edition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope they put in the cut out clip of barricade...haha. AFter that, I want the goo goo dolls video. That be dumb if they don't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that they put in some of the StopSectorSeven content... the video of Agent Powers & Dr. Rebecca Howard, the "Agent X" podcasts off of iTunes, the NBE videos (featuring Grimlock, Kickback, the camera (Reflector?), the transforming SD card (Laserbeak?), and the "3 point match" to Bumblebee)...

    Give some information on some of the Viral projects that came to hype up the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think maybe a history Optimus Prime and Megatron, An evoulution of them from g1 to this movie.

    And maybe interviews of where they would take The Transformers next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MOST DEFINITELY the transformation sequence. We already know there's no mass-reduction cheating or skin-molding, just solid car parts shifting around on mini-rails or levers (so to speak) across the basic robot structure. I'd especially like to see that on both Bumblebee and Optimus Prime. I'm especially somewhat fascinated by the Bumblebees arm structure. Not by how it works, but by how COOL it looks. I'm not sure why, but it definitely gets an A+++ for external design.

    I'd also like to see a sort of side-by-side comparison on the older blockey CG experiments with the new models during action scenes. An in-depth case study on why they went with this new look and justifying it. I already hate the older style and all for the newer Movie style, but I wanna see their perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. heh, for a second there i though what you put down as what you wanted on the DVD was what was actually gonna be on the DVD! i was thinking "holy crap, this is awesome!"

    ReplyDelete

 
          Creative Commons License