Friday, July 06, 2007

Optimus Prime Cover Boy for Entertainment Weekly

This week's Entertainment Weekly has Optimus Prime as its cover boy. Thanks to Mitch K. for the cover image. The cover articles is about bringing Transformers to the big screen and how it may change the "future of the blockbuster." Article and an interview with Michael Bay is also up on the EW.com website.

When Robots Attack
Michael Bay Interview

Some highlights and lot of comments from me:
- EW calls it the "world's most expensive toy commercial". I am starting to resent that. Yes its based off of a toyline but I don't hear people calling Spider-Man 3 the "world's most expensive comic book commercial" or Miami vice the "world's most expensive television DVD set commercial" or any of that other nonsense. These writers need to write damn articles and quite pretending to be above it all. The wink wink, eye rolling is getting tiresome. For some reason creating a movie that sells other items is treated with more respect then the reverse.
- to give the writer credit though, he does get the TF terminology correct.
- Alot of the article recounts known history, if keep up with the blog. Ie studios rejected Tom DeSanto's pitch. Speilberg doesn't. Hires Ocri and Kurtzman to write with the "a boy and his car" theme. Snags Bay who first rejected it but after tour of Hasbro and imagining an 80mph transformation, agrees to direct.
- EW says ILM's work was $40 million. (that's it? Next time budget $100 million or more!!!)
- The GM deal saved the movie $3 million. Not mentioned in the article but GM provided 65 cars for the film.
- In regards to Jazz "Jazz is the one thing which I was like, ehhh, I wish he was a different car, personally. It's too little. But that's why I did it. It saved me money." (To be fair though, the car does fit Jazz, so good choice overall but agree about the size)
- Actors worked opposite of a tennis balls for scenes with the TF. Amusing quote from Tyrese, and a good attitude to have: "I would rather do a scene opposite a tennis ball than some of the actors I have had to work with in the past. The tennis ball is your friend. The tennis ball doesn't mean you no harm." (Personally I think actors that bitch about blue screen work are not real actors. Those moments are pure acting as its relying 100% on their own ability and imagination rather then a series of crutches. And don't get me started on those that have to "become" the character. A true actor should be able to dive in and out of character at will).
- Because of Hasbro character choices and design times where tight "''Mike, they need the molds [of the Transformers for the toys].'' [I said] ''We don't have a script yet. We're only on page 30!'' He goes, ''They need the molds in China. What kind of vehicles do you want?'' Literally, we were scrambling." (Apparently to get the toys produced and ready for an expected street date the final designs have to be ready a year in advance. So really to do proper development they probably needed a locked in design by a 3 or so months before then so could engineer the toy).
- Article has the usual actor quotes about Bay being tough.
- Also mentions the
Wrap Poem that popped up on Don Murphy's site that called the film loads of crap and gave that Bay was given to much free rein. (I now suspect the poem came from DeSanto but regardless the box office numbers, the only ones that really matter, vindicate Bay.)
- In regards to a certain sequel and Bay's involvement "I've got a lot of ideas for the next one. I feel like it's my duty to do it. You don't want someone else to take your baby."

10 comments:

  1. Now that the first one was so successful, I hope Mr. Bay is able to focus a bit more on the robots in the sequel. The movie was pretty frigging fun -- but I felt cheated that the humans got the cool storytelling action bits. The robots were so engaging and the acting and look was so sweet. I would have rather seen Jazz or Ratchet try and solve a problem or create a real back and forth within the individual battles (really like the best King Kong/Godzilla/Harryhausen battles).

    Now that audiences love the robots, Mr. Bay can trust them more with more screentime and by adding cumulative depth to the battle sequences. I'll still enjoy the human involvement -- just give more clarity, substance and screentime to the robot fights, pretty pretty please!!! And I hope they get some combiners in there! Before Voltron comes out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, heh! Bay ain't the only one who wishes Jazz had a better presonality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they have more starscream in the sequel! He is one bad ass decepticon..but hey aside from that yes indeed it was totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they should've gone with more of an Issac Hayes or a Barry White type of personality (deep voice, sexy, soulful) when it came to Jazz. The "hip-hop" personality wasn't a good fit.

    For some reason, I keep imagining Jazz sounding like Issac Hayes as Chef in South Park. His greeting should've been "Hello Children..."

    I hope they focus more on Starscream in the next one. And they must have Soundwave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to more starscream, and hopefully thundercracker and skywarp too!

    Dudes, HOW could they have Soundwave?! Even if he was an ipod, he would be way too small. I guess they could make him a vhs machine or a betamax for added bulk. Seriously, drop it Soundwave fans! Great toy (I know because I have one) but it wouldn't work in the sequel. Don't fear though... Here are some great ideas for Mr. Bay...

    Astrotrain. Changes from an entire bullet train (for added bulk) to a space shuttle and a giant robot dude and back. He would be really big!

    Omega Supreme reimagined as a luxury cruiseliner. He would be so frigging big!

    Metroplex, he could transform from the Staples Center or a Best Buy into a robot and back.

    I would also like to see a big hovercraft, and a razor scooter -- and definitely Arcee as vespa scooter.

    Also, they should have a bunch of combiners -- my fave was always Superion. Go arielbots go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you with the "most expensive toy commercial ever made" complaint. I mean really, if they saw the movie they could see that it is actually the most expensive CAR commercial ever made. I'm not sure which word they dropped more, Ebay or Camaro. Still, awesome movie. Look forward to the sequel. Speaking of which, now that the movie is here, do you plan on ending this blog anytime soon or just keep it going to track any possible (probable) sequels?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh shit!!

    when after transformers movie, what's next movie can i see it, i don't know!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't care if he comes back as a Cybertronian jet or a DJ's turntable, Soundwave has to be in the next one. It's the voice...

    (Pouring some 10-W-40 on the ground for my man Jazz...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just hoping they can keep this pace up and not fuck it up. I don't really mind what they do as long as they don't fuck it up like a lot of people are expecting it.

    I seriously think the next should at least have Ultra Magnus, that'd be badass. Galvatron and Omega Prime? What about Rodimus Prime. Never hurts to have em

    I say ex-nay on the soundwave! sorry but not this time around peeps.

    ReplyDelete

 
          Creative Commons License