Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Michael Bay Interview on Transformers 3

As a run-up to tonight's debut of the teaser trailer for Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Collider has posted an interview with director Michael Bay. The site previewed the trailer and a "huge chunk of footage" but sadly they did not reveal any major story points in the articles. The overall impression of the chunk was very positive and that is without the visual effects (anima tics used as placeholders). Empire also was there but Collider's article is much more detailed.

Below is a video from Collider as "Frosty" and AICN "Mr. Beaks" kind of expresses everything they saw during the three hour visit with Bay while the experience was still fresh on their minds. The article is so click here with a few highlights below. Thanks to Ray and Kris for the links.

- Plan on a "couple of teasers", so today's "announcement piece" is just the beginning.
- Apollo 11 astronaut & second man on the moon Buzz Aldrin is involved with the film but not sure if on screen or as a consultant.
- Teaser trailer does not have final effects footage, no scene is even 80% done.
- Three editors working on film, ahead of schedule as wants as much time as possible to do "pristine 3D".
- About 5 months of research and testing went into deciding between Real 3D and post conversion.
- Spends about hour and half a day going over visual effects with ILM and Digital Domain.
- ILM is working on about 75% of the film, Digital Domain has the other 25%.
- On 2D footage, "we shot most of my close-ups with faces with anamorphic film, cause that stuff’s easier to convert and it’s just more beautiful than the digital."
- Bay nicknamed the TF Ferrari as "Dreadbox", doesn't know the official name yet and said that it will have an Italian accent.
- Humor: "It’s more serious. I got rid of the dorky comedy, I mean we’ve got two little characters, that’s it, but the dorkiness is not there. Dork-free Transformers. It’s much more serious. It’s still entertaining, it’s big looking."
- Carly: Is British (like Rosie Huntington-Whiteley), works as assistant as UK Embassy, Sam lives with her but she is paying rent as Sam looks for first job.
- Filming did (or will?) include China and maybe Russia. Africa is scheduled for next month something to with filming elephants (but might be a joke).
- No "sand" in movie so I guess that means no desert sequences.
- Doing TF4: "I think this has gotta be it. I think someone else will take the torch from here."


  1. Carly is Sam's roomate? Will we even get word during the movie of what happened to Megan Fox a.k.a Banes? C'mon! I already know it's going to be a BEYOND fantastic movie... I'm already looking for any possible movie premeire tickets! Glad we will have less comedy, too much in the second but Revenge of the Fallen was still a FANTASTIC movie. I love the transformers movies & I am counting down for tonights preview!!! Oh by the way, NASCAR in the movie??? It's like Michael Bay invented the movie of heaven!!!!!!!! & The Ferrari, this is definatly going to be the best of the trilogy!!! :D

  2. good lord it's so hard for them not to say anything spoilerish about the movie lol

  3. I am hoping that Ironhide does something big and heroic as they said that a character from the past two will do something big.

  4. I'm not able to see EITHER of them. ugh...

  5. maybe bumble bee will pull a hot rod

  6. sam should just work with the military in detecting transformers. rly no mention of calling the autobots themselves transformers. anyhoo carly is older than sam in this rly??? thats even worse because rosie already looks older than sam. and carly is paying the rent, so what is carly the sam's pimp mama? and sam is looking for a job, that cant be possible cuz he has a job at the invest firm. thus the whole rosie being older cant be possible cuz michael would spend the movie talking about how sam is trying to find a job. i rly want to see the fricking movie, thank god i only started getting into this this week or else i would be waiting like the rest of the fans for two yrs lol


               Creative Commons License