Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Michael Bay buys Digital Domain

Michael Bay has joined George Lucas (ILM) and Peter Jackson (WETA) in directors that own movie effects companies with the purchase of Digital Domain. The company use to be owned and used by James Cameron for effects in "True Lies" and "Titantic" among other films.

"My simple goal is to make Digital Domain an effects powerhouse," Bay said in an interview after the meeting. "I think we can utilize this platform here to expand on production in terms of feature films and animation."

Just speculation, but if your the director and now owner a special effects company that needs a coming out party thats says "use me to make your movie", its seems your next CGI heavy project would be the way to go. Now considering that some of the FX members hired for the film are from ILM and also that some of the pre-prep has been done by ILM, not entirely sure how this would go. Nothing says they can't share the workload, been done before on many movies, but if I was ILM, I would be more then a little pissed by such an arrangement. Time will tell I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
          Creative Commons License