Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Don Murphy on Casting Peter Cullen

Transformers producer Don Murphy has once again shared some of his viewpoints on Transformers the movie over on his forum. Most interesting bit (for me anyway) is "I got to spend the early part of the week with a lifesize, gigantic Megatron which was surreal and so cool you’re all jealous." Yep I am jealous.

and then the Cullen thing. As you all know when we started this grand experiment two years ago, Cullen and Welker were the ONLY Thing you gave me any consensus on. I’m serious, because I read everything you write, no matter how shitty. And if someone suggested something, half of you would shout it down. And the ONLY thing you overwhelmingly agreed on was that Prime should sound like Prime and Megatron should sound like Megatron. Which makes sense, especially since both actors are alive and well. So I pushed your agenda. As some of you know, that was not an easy one. My own partner advocated celebrity voices. Then I showed him the results of your guys’ input and he immediately joined the bandwagon. Ian Bryce came to the show well in to the process and saw the results and supported immediately. John Rogers needed no prodding god bless his pointed head. One or two Dreamworks executives also supported from relatively early on. The interesting thing is that the director never gave an opinion any way. He had a lot of us telling him that there was no choice, really, the fans had spoken. But he had Skorponok and a lot of people at Dreamworks and Paramount FIGHTING actively not to do it. The forces of Cullen kept the push going. Several weeks he came in and auditioned, which was all anyone could ask the director to do. Then he came back for a meeting. And now, Optimus Prime has his voice back. And there is much rejoicing.

before you negativists start asking wotup with Welker, hey we are all working on it. Fact is I was told he was harder to arrange audition time with and his schedule--- hell I don’t know. No one wants Cullen without Welker. I will not say that the director has made the decision because he hasn’t.

My gut tells me that Michael Bay weighs every decision QUITE STRONGLY. You have to remember that. HE finally okayed Cullen once HE was convinced. And should Welker happen, as I know everyone hopes, it will happen when he can make the decision. Which, quite frankly, is not an urgent decision to make at this moment.


The entire post is worth reading, click here. Does this mean when it was reported that Peter Cullen auditioned for the role and Don Murphy said "don't put words in my mouth", he was covering up this reveal for comic-con? If so, bravo man. Good play.

4 comments:

  1. w00t you can't have anyone else voice Prime, or megatron
    I hope they keep the characters true to themselves.
    Megatron must be Megatron and Prime must be Prime xD
    if they fuck this up Micheal Bay is going to be hiding for the rest of his life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now if they can snag Welker I can die happy... after the movie comes out that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about ironhide? i think cullen did the voice for ironhide and a few other guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter Cullen voiced about 5 or 6 characters for Transformers. Of those I can remember, Optimus Prime, Ironhide, and possibly 1 of the Constructicons.

    In the same vein, Frank Welker (currently voicing Scooby-Doo, and reprising his role as Fred) is famous (on the Transformers series) for 6 characters, which include: Megatron, Soundwave, Galvatron, (Rumble and Frenzy, I think) -- and Jonny Quest: The Real Adventures's Jeremiah Surd (noteworthy because his digital counterpart's voice is a crude mixture of Megatron and Season 3-4's Galvatron).

    ReplyDelete

 
          Creative Commons License