Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mini Interview With Bay About TF2

E! Online posted a quickie interview with Michael Bay after some awards ceremony in Hollywood, where he briefly commented about Transformers 2.

So...the next Transformers. Does Shia LaBeouf have creative input?
He has zero creative input.

Yeah, but he's like the man now—Mr. Indiana Jones—so he's totally gonna show up and be all, "I know what works!"
No, but I'm friends with Shia. I really love working with him.

So, where do you go with it? How do you up the stakes?
It's not about upping it. It's about still keeping the heart.

Any new characters coming in?
Oh, yeah…a lot of fun stuff. I keep telling the writers, remember the heart and the magic, remember the heart and the magic. It's not about being bigger.

Speaking of bigger, the DVD is doing great. Did you watch the American League Championship series? It's the smartest advertising for Transformers.
No, but we're number one. Go figure!
I am all for remembering the heart (whatever that means) and the magic but I wouldn't mind a little escalation and upping of things. Transformers can be epic in storytelling. Something the cartoons and especially comics have utterly failed to capture. Cartoons don't have the budget to do epic (even though Beast Wars came darn close) but comics don't have that excuse. Instead they have a glacier story pace that could give Lost pointers on how to move things along as slowly as possibly. The movies, with today's technology, can possibly finally give us the wide-screen epic story that Transformers have desperately needed. (source)

4 comments:

  1. As a long time Transformers fan I was pleased (not over excited) with the story telling in the first film. However the one thing that kept the first film from being epic was not the action. It was Bay's tongue in cheek humor. This kept the film from taking itself seriously and broke the "suspension of disbelief" that is needed in good story telling of an epic (think LOTR trilogy). I am hopeful that when Bay speaks of the heart and magic being the "core" of the next film that he doesn't make it better by allowing the work to take itself seriously. This would be the biggest step to making it an epic film - not more action (just for the sake of action).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, my friends, and everyone I know loved the humor in TF. The movie was damn entertaining. I would almost call it "Epic" as is. The Autobots did pretty much stay very serious and focused on the Allspark. Yes there were a lot of cheesy one-liners, but they were all obviously on purpose, and well placed. Almost an ode to the cheesiness of the original cartoon. The humor kept the life of the film. "Epics" like LOTR got a little monotonous at times with the drawn out emotional scenes and annoying opra singing in the background. (I only remember about 15 seconds of that crap in TF. I hate that depressing opra wailing in the background that gained popularity with Titanic. I wish all movie makers would begin to see how annoying that noise is for a modern film. It's supposed to add weight to emotional scenes, but it really just annoys the crap out of me.) As a testosterone filled male, I'd much rather she a movie with a lot of cheesy humor than a depressing emotional film. No film is perfect, but this was probably the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. I would be plenty happy if TF2 was very similar with maybe a little more robot character development and some added TFs. Combining robots would be awesome and "Epic". I was way more entertained watching Transformers than I was watching the LOTR Trilogy (although I did like LOTR too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not epic ?
    You must have missed TF:Cybertron where we had planet-sized transformers fighting in several episodes, plus vast swatches of the (UK) comic like "Target:2026"

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Especially the comics"?!
    Dinobot Hunt, In The National Interest, Target: 2006, The Legacy of Unicron, Matrix Quest, Time Wars, All Fall Down...
    If all you've read is Dreamwave's hokum (which, to be fair, was by and large appalling), perhaps you shouldn't make such broad statements about the largest part (in terms of sheer content) of the franchise.
    In terms of the first movie, the style and content did surprise me when I saw it, despite how many TV spots and trailers I'd seen up to that point. It suited it, and I wasn't disappointed. It's not the exact film I've always wanted (and I knew it would never happen, but a live-action adaptation of the first 4 issues of the Marvel comic was never on the cards), but it could have been so very different. It did have a good sense of humour, and the tone was just right. It's set a good precedent for sequels, and I'm surprised (in a good way) by Bay's comments about it 'not being about being bigger'.
    Now read some comics and get some weight behind yer statements. :D

    ReplyDelete

 
          Creative Commons License