Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bay: Transformers 2 Script Written

Despite the almost resolved Writer's Guild strike, the script for Transformers 2 has already been completed by Michael Bay.

From Rotten Tomatoes:
It looks like the Writer's Guild strike could end any day now. But while Michael Bay is not only ready to jump back into development on Transformers 2, it turns out he's already finished writing the story.

"I've been writing Transformers 2," said Bay. "We've got our characters all designed. I always write all my scripts, my movies anyway so at least I've got something to give the writers. It's like a template. We have a really good outline so I worked on that."
It might be a tad unorthodox, but Bay has high pressure demands. "We had to because I want to make my date. I'm not going to let the strike take me down."

Now that the major effects of transforming moving parts have been figured out, Bay has all sorts of new characters in store for the sequel. "When you do your first movie, you break the back of it. Now we can have a lot more fun. We can actually make the depth of these characters more fun and a lot more interesting characters. To see actually what you can achieve visually, you never know. When you go into a movie, you never know visually. I think I've got a lot of fun, interesting, funny characters."
I am would love to compare the Bay script with the final, assigned and paid Transformers script writers, just to see what changes where made and so forth. Really Bay writing the script isn't all that dramatic since the story beats and action sequences where probably nailed down months ago out of necessity. Bay probably filled in details needed to help in pre-production (budget, the cast, robot design, animatics, locations, set design, costumes, and many other things). The writers will then probably come in and give it polish it needs to get through the major story beats, punch up the lines and so forth for when production starts with the main cast.

1 comment:

 
          Creative Commons License