- Images of ROTF toys for Leader class Optimus Prime, Preview Bumblebee, Preview Soundwave, and the Voyager Class Starscream figure.Based on the above, it is further confirmation of Devastator's appearance and the name of another Transformer (Sideways and maybe Bulldozer). Not sure what "Voyager" means, maybe the toy class but doubtful it is a character name. Even more interesting is apparent heavy reliance on Simon Furman's origin for Transformers that he has hinted at over the years (and will be doing a comic miniseries on later in the year) only here the Fallen is the point of origin for the Transformer civil war with the creation of the Decepticons.
- Lorenzo believes the timeframe of ROTF is about one year after Movie #1.
- When asked about the challenge of creating Devastator on screen, Lorenzo mentions that Bay had the challenge in the first movie of having 30 foot robots. In the second movie, Bay has the challenge of having a robot almost four times that. Expect Devastator to be 100 to 120 feet tall in the movie.
- Archer said he couldn't give away the plot point, but there's a reason that Soundwave is designed the way he is for the movie. Hasbro had a more basic toy need. So, the two were blended together.
- Toy launch date confirmed as May 30th. A few weeks before, Bumblebee and Soundwave will be released.
- Characters mentioned in the initial wave are "Sideswipe, Sideways, Bulldozer, Voyager and many others". Promise of more off-screen characters.
- Robot Heroes will have better articulation
- Bumblebee helmet has voice mixer
- Bumblebee converting pulse cannon
- Big ticket deluxe item for the year is still "top-secret"
- Gravity Bots are geared towards younger kids. Convert automatically when you pick them up.
- A Megan Fox Human Alliance figure is on Archer's "wish list".
- The Fallen's origin confirmed: He is one of the original 13 Transformers. Lorenzo said to think of the 13 as "apostles". The Fallen is the one who turns and is the reason Transformers split into Autobots and Decepticons.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Toyfare Article Reveals Devastator, Fallen Info
Toyfare Magazine, issue 140 recently hit newsstands and it includes an interview with Transformers 2 producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, TF toy designer Aaron Archer and Hasbro Director of Marketing Greg Lombardo who discussed some of the toys and discussed some of the characters in the movie including Devastator and origin of The Fallen. The summary from TFW2005: