Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Transformers Blu-ray Details

IGN is reporting the details on the September 2nd release of Transformers on Blu-ray. As expected, the release is essentially the HD-DVD release from last year with no additional features that I can tell. Unless you just have a kick butt 1080p TV and surround sound system (I don't), I wouldn't bother with the purchase until you do especially if already bought it in some other format.

You can read the full details here.

Disc 1:
- Feature film
- Commentary by Director Michael Bay
- TRANSFORMERS H.U.D. (Heads Up Display)—In this mode, viewers can access running text-based behind-the-scenes background information on the production during the feature. Users can also watch relevant picture-in-picture b-roll and video with Bay, Spielberg and other filmmakers during select sequences.
- TRANSFORMERS Intelligence Mode
- Menubots
- TRANSFORMERS Profiler

Disc 2:
- The Story Sparks - Steven Spielberg discusses his love for the franchise and early concept art for the film. Explores how the writers adapted the cartoon into a live-action movie and why Michael Bay is the perfect director for the film.
- Human Allies - A look at how the actors were selected and their experiences on the set.
- I Fight Giant Robots - An exploration of the military training that Josh Duhamel and Tyrese Gibson underwent for their roles and the various stunts that the actors were asked to perform.
- Battleground - A piece on the senior officials from the Department of Defense and Air Force who consulted on the film to give it authenticity and the key locations that the U.S. government provided access to.
- Rise of the Robots - Explores the interaction between Hasbro designers and Michael Bay to bring the toy line roaring to life.
- AUTOBOTS Roll Out - Michael Bay discusses working with Chevy and its designers and the modifications that were made to the cars seen in the film.
- DECEPTICONS Strike - The film's military advisors discuss the "toys" they allowed the production to borrow: F-22 Raptors, Ospreys and A-10 Warthogs.
- Inside the AllSpark - ILM's digital artists discuss the challenges of bringing the TRANSFORMERS to life.
- TRANSFORMERS Tech Inspector - Gives viewers an unprecedented look at the TRANSFORMERS robots through the exquisitely detailed models created by ILM artists. Users can zoom in on each detail for a closer examination and pause and change the rotation of the models.
- More Than Meets The Eye
- From Script to Sand: The SKORPONOK Desert Attack - An in-depth look at the making of this particularly epic and challenging scene from initial storyboarding through production and visual effects.
- Concepts - Early sketch concepts of the robots.
- Theatrical Trailers

5 comments:

  1. Actually I'm pretty excited for this one; I'll be getting it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got me a ps3 and a 1080 tv in ma room wit a kik ass stereo...already preordered my copy..never got the HD-dvd one so ive been waiting for this one...cant wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best shows ever, I watch it eagerly daily. Very well built sequences. BTW great blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of disappointed...Bay constantly complained about the HD/DVD format and was very, very vocal on how great Blu-ray was, you would think he'd come with guns blazin' and make a blue-ray that could be worth the $30.

    I will be buying it also, because the movie is phenomenal. I have the HD/DVD version and have been waiting for this day ever since I bought my HDTV.

    To say the least, I thought the features on the HD/DVD version were pretty boring.

    Not sure what I was expecting, but I guess other than quality, I will feel like I'm not getting anything else on my Blu-ray.

    As life goes...good quality beats quantity any day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The DolbyTrueHD5.1 audio on the HD-DVD release was not really perfect. The new audio encoding alone could be worth buying the new Blu-Ray release. They surely should give a better audio quality. I would hope that they re-encoded the H.264 video bitstream at an higher bitrate to fully use the 50GB Blu-Ray space but I doubt that.

    ReplyDelete

 
          Creative Commons License